Sunday, June 12, 2005

Happy Birthday Mom!

Last Thursday was my Mom's birthday. She would have been 88. She died in 2003. I still miss her terribly. If you looked up "unconditional love" in the dictionary, her name would come right after God's name. She taught me many, many things--like what a soda fountain is (this after having pressed my nose up against the window of the drugstore many times), how to sing harmony parts (I learned this while doing dishes--we sang silly songs, songs in rounds, pretty songs, Christmas carols--you name it), how to make home made playdough, how to blow out eggs to make an Easter egg tree (I still have eggs that we made back in the 60's), how to make dried beef gravy (and almost everything I know how to cook--that was just one of the first), how to make Christmas cut-out cookies and decorate them, and countless other things for which I am very grateful. We had fun together, she and I. I remember her taking me to the "Buzz Inn" after school on Fridays (she was a teacher) and we would have french fries. We did craft projects together. When I got older (after I was married), we took a cake-decorating class together. We played together in a trio (she played violin, I played cello, and a wonderful lady named Wallace played piano). We went shopping together. We talked on the phone almost every day.

I miss her. I sang Happy Birthday to her on her birthday while I was driving home from El Dorado. I cried. I miss her. I wish I could hug her.

No comments: